Climbing the Family Tree

Friday, December 30, 2005

A Prod for the Other Side of the Family

June – July 2005

In late June, I received e-mail from a woman named Linda Siegenthaler. She was trying to get the last active synagogue in Lawrence, Massachusetts on the historic register. She was looking for information on the architect Joseph Morrisette and had been told by several people that they thought he was my grandfather. Actually he was my great-uncle and his father, my great-grandfather was also named Joseph Morrisette.

I knew many of the buildings my great uncle had designed – especially Sacred Heart Church, my great-grandfather being one of the founding members of the parish. I did not know, however, that he was architect of this synagogue. Once I discovered the location, I did know exactly what building she was talking about. It was about two blocks down the street from my father’s house and grocery store. While never registering that this house had been converted into a synagogue, I had often noticed the rod iron gates with the Star of David as I walked past. It turned out that Linda’s interest in the project had been inspired by her relationship with her late uncle, Robert Goldberg, who, unknown to her, had been a good friend of my father’s.

Linda and I met and while together called my late mother’s sister in Florida. My aunt provided all of the information she had, explaining that both her Uncle Joe and his wife had died young and that their children had moved to Alabama. She said that while she had not been in touch with this part of the family, her cousin Germaine had been in touch.

After Linda had left I called Germaine and she gave me the addresses of my great-uncle’s two surviving daughters. I was amazed to discover that they both lived within about 1 mile of my mother-in-law’s condominium. As luck would have it, I was planning to visit my mother-in-law in a week or so to help her with her business. I quickly composed a letter and sent it to my two cousins asking if we could meet and if I could get some information on their father for this woman. I received a call back saying how delighted they were to hear from me and that they would love to get together.

One was married and the other was a former nun. I spent a wonderful afternoon with the three of them discussing what each of us knew about the family. They provided me with a copy of a family history hand-written by my Aunt Georgie, a copy of the design of sacred heart church, and loaned me a photo-album. I scanned many photos and returned the album the next day. My cousin Irene, the former nun and life long school teacher, asked if there was any special reason I was gathering up all of this information. I said no, just because I was interested. She said that listening to me, she had a hunch that I was a good writer and encouraged me to write about what I found. I am not sure if I will, but I may, and if I do, this blog will serve as the starting point.

I look forward to the next time the three of us go visit Birmingham and the opportunity to introduce Amanda and Madeleine to my Birmingham relatives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home