Climbing the Family Tree

Friday, December 30, 2005

Another Prod Forward

May – September 2005

In late may, one of my Internet search engines came up with a posting for a strategic plan project manager contract in Dublin Ireland. I submitted my resume and stated that I had dual Irish/United States citizenship. The person at the Dublin firm was a bit confused, assuming I had been born in Ireland and immigrated to the US. He asked how much time would I need and what rate of pay would I require to return home?

Once I had made it clear what the circumstances were, he was still interested in considering me for the position. Lacking another project and for the opportunity to work in Ireland for some period of time, I was interested. But the numbers really didn’t work. The problem was that someone already living in Dublin could just as easily fill the position. So there was no reason to pay for housing or living expenses. Unless I wanted to sell the house here and move to Dublin, the net after expenses was not really enough to meet our needs.

In the end, it became moot since the client company found an internal candidate to assign to the task. What I did learn however was that to take advantage of such offers, my citizenship alone would not really be enough – I really needed an Irish passport. So I again contacted the Irish Consulate in Boston this time requesting a passport application.

Once it was received, I got the necessary passport photos and filled out the application. Again I needed the signature of a witness who was a clergyman, medical doctor, school principal, bank manager, lawyer, policeman, or magistrate/judge. I had become friends with the principal of the grammar school up the street when my daughter was a student there and when I was working on the establishment of an education foundation. As before, having done this herself years before, she was happy to oblige.

In early September I sent in the application. I little over a week later it was back in my mailbox with a note saying I had failed to provide a required document. Within a day it was back in the post. On October 14, 2005, my Irish passport was issued in Dublin and mailed to me. Unfortunately, it arrived a few days after my unexpected first trip to Ireland.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home